This phone in the office
Поставьте следующие предложения во множественное число;
Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
1. My friends live in . small town. It is . new town. . streets in . town are broad and straight. There are . beautiful buildings in them. . town is very green, and so . air is fresh. There are . beautiful parks and gardens in . town. . people like to go there after . work. In . evening you can hear . sounds of . music from . parks. There are . schools, . libraries, . hospital, . theatre, . cinemas, . polyclinics and . kindergartens in . town. 2. This is . classroom. . classroom is large and light. 3. There is . picture on . wall. 4. What is . date today? It is . seventh of . December. 5. . third lesson today is . lesson of English. 6. Pete, go to . blackboard. 7. After school I usually go . home. 8. My father always comes from . work late: at eight o’clock or at . half past eight. But on . Friday he comes . home early: at half past four or at . quarter to five. On . Saturday and on . Sunday he does not go to . work.
Here is . large window. Through . window we can see . room. Opposite . window there is . door. On . door there is . curtain. In . corner of . room there is . round table. On it we can see . books and . telephone. There is . bookshelf over . table. On . bookshelf we can see . newspapers and . book by . Jack London. There are . two . pictures in . room. One . picture is small, . other picture is very large. There are . two bookcases in . room. . bookcases are full of . books. There is . large sofa in . room. On . sofa we can see . bag. Whose . bag is that? There is no . bed in . room. On . small table near . window there are . flowers and . glass of . water. In . front of . window we can see . armchair.
. group of . farmers were sitting in . village house, and among . other things they began talking about . echoes. One of . farmers said that there was . wonderful echo in . field near his farm where there was . large group of . trees. All . other farmers said that they would like to hear . echo, and . farmer invited them to come . next afternoon. But . fact was that . farmer did not really have . echo he had told . other farmers about. So when he came . home, he sent for . son of . cook and told him to go to . field, hide himself among . trees and imitate everything that was said. . next day . other farmers came, and . farmer took them to . field to listen to . wonderful echo. When they were in . field, he shouted at . top of his voice: «Are you there?» The answer came back: «Yes, I’ve been here for two hours!»
1. This phone in the office is out of order. 2. That blouse is made of silk. 3. This is an excellent painting. 4. His book is very popular and it really interests me. 5. It is a difficult word to write. 6. My son is a journalist and he has been very successful. 7. This purse isn’t made of leather. 8. That is my neighbour’s car. 9. Has he got a camera? 10. It’s a new cassette recorder. 11. This room is very large. 12. There is a match in the box. 13. Has this lady a knife? 14. There is a man and a woman in the street. 15. This lady is that gentleman’s wife. 16. This shoe is too large for my foot. 17. The child is sitting on a bench. 18. My tooth is white. 19. This key is made of steel. 20. A potato is a vegetable and a cherry is a fruit. 21. This is my friend’s study.
This desk under what is a in are your office that the ? on telephone these books those
2. Those are your books.
Read and translate the text.
This is an office. There are two people in it. They are a man and a woman. They are at the desk. The desk is in front of the window. But the window is behind the people.
There is a small table below the window. There is a photocopier on the table. To the right of the window there is a clock on the wall. Next to the clock you can see a notice board. There is a calender on the board. Below the notice board there is a computer on the table.
To the left of the woman you can see three trays, a pot plant and a desk lamp. Next to the lamp and in front of the woman there is a telephone. In the middle of this desk there are some magazines. There are two pencils in front of the man.
The wastepaper bin is under the desk. There are many bookshelves to the right of the door. There is a radio on the top shelf.
Translate from Russian into English.
1. Где карты (maps)?
2. Карты на стене.
3. Где компьютеры?
4. Компьютеры на столах.
6. Файлы в нижнем ящике стола.
7. Где автоответчик (answering mashine)?
8. Автоответчик в приемной
9. Где доска объявлений?
10. Доска объявлений над столом справа от окна.
11. Где книги по продажам?
12. Книги по продажам на нижнй полке.
14. Факс на маленьком столике под окном.
Read and translate the text.
When we see or hear the word “business”, however we think first of all not of different shops, factories or mines, but offices. Modern business is done chiefly there, a day of a modern businessman is a day spent at an office. That is probably why business people pay so much attention to the way their offices look like.
I am sure you can easily imagine this place.
Usually it’s situated in a large or not very large well–planned building somewhere in the centre or in a prestige district of the city. An office should be light and clean and have necessary comfortable furniture of good quality. One more very important thing is the air. It should always be fresh and neither hot nor cold. For this purpose a lot of modern businessmen use various types of air–conditioners.
Office work usually means different forms of communication. A businessman often needs to speak to other people and he can do this by using the telephone, which is an important part of the communications system. The head of a large firm usually has two telephones on his desk. One is a usual telephone, which connects the businessman with other people in the town and in other countries. But the other one is connected to a private internal system and this makes it possible for members of the staff in different parts of the same building to talk to one another without leaving their rooms.
A businessman also communicates by writing. But he doesn’t write his letters himself, he dictates them to his secretary, usually a woman, who types them on a typewriter or with the help of a computer, and then takes them to be signed.
After that she posts all the letters or sends them using fax. Thus we can say for sure that different technical means and equipment like personal computer, fax, photocopier, printer occupy a considerable part of the office interior.
And of course speaking about offices of any kind we shouldn’t forget the person, who actually organizes the work there, who arranges meetings, makes appointments, cancels them, does most of the paper–work and answers telephone calls thus helping her boss in his business.
KITA Systems, Inc.
Fax: (650) 997–8511 10 Buena Vista Way
Phone: (650) 993–5820 Palo Alto, CA 94303
To:Anna Lopez From:Joe Young
Company:Northstar HoldingsDate:February 12, 2001
Re:New Office Design
We want to redesign our office space at 10 Buena Vista. Here is the general layout of the space now and a diagram. Please forward this information to your architect.
The entrance is between a meeting room on the right and a reception room on the left. There are two rows of desks near the window on the right side of the office area. A work station is on the left side of the room. There’s a copier next to a fax machine and printers. Across from the work station is a long table, in the middle of the room, is a row of filing cabinets. The director’s office is in the left corner of the room, near the work station.
Please let me know when the architect can inspect the site.
Write a fax to your building’s manager. Describe your office and ask for a plan for a new design. Use at least eight location words (next to, near, in the corner, etc.)
Ask and answer each other’s questions about places in the picture.
A: Where’s the coffee shop?
B: It’s on the first floor, in the corner.
Lesson 9 Урок 9
In the Office В офисе
1. medical room – мед. кабинет
2. postroom – почтовая комната
3. basement – подвальное помещение
4. canteen – столовая
5. department – отдел
6. floor – этаж, пол
7. customer – заказчик
8. visitor – посетитель
9. someone – кто–то
10. magazine – журнал
11. upstairs – наверх (–у)
12. downstairs – вниз (–у)
13. at the moment – в данный момент
15. around – вокруг
16. probably – вероятно
17. which – который, какой
18. to have lunch – обедать
19. to welcome – принимать (гостя)
20. to read – читать
21. to visit – посетить
22. to take shorthand – стенографировать
23. to interview – брать интервью
24. to type – печатать
25. to send – посылать
26. to talk on the phone – говорить по телефону
27. to call somebody – звонить кому–либо
Exercise 116º (We Mean Business p 18)
Joy is showing Anne around the BOS building. Listen to the tape, read and translate.
Joy: The medical room is upstairs, on the second floor. This is Paul’s office. Oh, he isn’t here at the moment. Look, he’s having lunch. He’s probably in the canteen.
Anne: Where’s that?
Joy: It’s downstairs, in the basement. The postroom is in the basement, too. Come on. I think, you know Mary, Fred McLean’s secretary. Where’s Fred, Mary?
Mary: He is visiting a customer.
Joy: And this is the personnel department. Good, Helen isn’t busy.
Helen: No, I am only reading tha BOS magazine.
Joy: Helen is Howard Spencer’s secretary.
Anne: Hello, Helen. I’m Anne, Sheila’s new secretary.
Answer these questions.
1. Where’s the medical room?
2. Is Paul in his office?
3. Which rooms are in the basement?
4. What is Fred doing?
5. Who is reading a magazine?
The Present Continuous (Progressive) Tense (Настоящее Продолженное Время)выражает длительное действие, происходящее в определенный момент (или отрезок) настоящего, в момент речи. Момент речи может быть выражен следующими наречиями или словосочетаниями: now, at present, at the moment, а может быть ясен из контекста.
What’s that smell? Something is burning. – Что это за запах? Что–то горит.
Настоящее продолженное время образуется при помощи вспомогательного глагола “to be” в настоящем времени и основного глагола с окончанием “– ing”.
Поставьте следующие предложения во множественное число.
1. This phone in the office is out of order. 2. That blouse is made of silk. 3. This is an excellent painting. 4. His book is very popular and it really interests me. 5. It’s a difficult word to write. 6. My son is a journalist and he has been very successful. 7. This purse isn’t made of leather. 8. That is my neighbour’s car. 9. Has he got a camera? 10. It’s anew cassette recorder. 11. This room is very large. 12. There is a match in the box. 13. There is a knife over there. 14. There is a man and a woman in the street. 15. This lady is that gentleman’s wife. 16. This shoe is too large for my foot. 17. The child is sitting on a bench. 18. My tooth is white. 19. This key is made of steel. 20. A potato is a vegetable and a cherry is a fruit. 21. This is my friend’s study. 22. My chief is very competent.
these phones in the office are out of order.those blouses are made of silk.these are excellent paintings. his books are very popular and they really interest me.they are difficult words to write.my sons are journalists and they have been very successful.these purses aren t made of leather.those are my neighbour s cars.has he got cameras?they are new cassette recorders.these rooms are very large.there are matches in the box.there are knives over there.there are men and women in the street. these ladies are those gentlemen s wives.these shoes are too large for my feet. the children are sitting on benches.my teeth are white.these keys are made of steel.potatoes are vegetables and cherries are fruit.these are my friend s studies.my chiefs are very competent.
Другие вопросы из категории
In this exercise you have to make questions with the words given.
Example: (you/hear/from George recently?) Have you heard from George recently?
1. (you/read/a newspaper recently?)
2. (you/see/Tom in the past few days?)
3. (you/play/tennis recently?)
4. (you/eat/anything today?)
5. (you/see/any good films recently?)
6. (you/have/a holiday this year yet?)
Поставьте следующие словосочетания во множе¬ственное число (обратите внимание на изменения в указательных местоимениях).
this man, that table, this tea-cup, this egg, that wall, that picture, this order, that gentleman, this lady, that window, this knife.
1. This is a long letter. 2. That is a green pencil. 3. What colour is this sofa? 4. What is your friend’s name? 5. I am a student from Russia. 6. What is that woman’s job?
7. Where is the child now? 8. That sofa is green. 9. Here is the businessman’s offer.
2. Замените выделенные слова личными местоимениями в объектном падеже
1. Translate this letter into Russia.
2. Answer these question, please.
3. Give the customer the offer, please.
4. He doesn’t know the manager and his assistent.
5. Ask the secretary to send the offer to the firm.
6. Show me and my colleague the new model.
3. Выберите подходящее местоимение в зависимости от смысла.
1. At the lessons (they, them, their) teacher asks (they, them, their) a lot of questions and the students answer (they, them, their).
2. (We, us, our) have a children’s room. (It, its) windows are large and (it, its) is very light. (We, us, our) children like (they, them, their) room.
3. Petrov is (we, us, our) student. (I, me, my) know (he, him, his) well. (He, him, his) English is good and (I, me, my) speak only English to (he, him, his). (He, him, his) help (we, us, our) a lot.
4. Поставьте следующие предложения в вопросительную и отрицательную форму.
1. These engineers work at the Ministry of Foreign Trade.
2. He has got a good job.
3. She has breakfast early in the morning.
4. Jane goes to the Institute every day.
5. There are cables and telexes on the desk.
a. Прочитайте и постарайтесь понять следующий текст.
Письменно переведите 1-3, 6 и 7 абзацы текста.
1 London is the capital of Great Britain. It lies in the South East of England on both banks of the river Thames. London is one of the largest cities in the largest port and industrial centre in England. London is more than twenty centuries old.
2 The heart of the capital is the City. The territory of the City is only about one square mile, but it is the financial and business centre of the country. It contains almost all important English banks and offices.
3 The West End of London is famous for its beautiful monuments and palaces, fine parks, fashionable shops and big hotels. The East End is quite different from the West End. It is the district of factories, plants and docks. The narrow streets and poor houses of the East End present a contrast to the homes of the rich people in the West End.
4 There are many places of interest in London. One of them is Trafalgar Square with the Nelson monument 185 feet high. Buckingham palace is the royal residence. Westminister Abbey is one of the most citizens of Britain.
5 Across the road from Westminister Abbey are the Houses of Parliament, the seat of the British goverment.
6 The Tower of London is one of the most interesting places in London. It was a fortress, a royal residence, a prison, now it is a museum.
7 London is famous for its green parks. Hyde Park is the most popular of them. It is the greatest park in London as well.
8 London is the centre of the country’s cultural life. There are many picture galleries and museums in the capital. The National Gallery houses a priceless collection of paintings. The famous British museum is one of the best museums in the world.
6. Задайте специальные вопросы к подчеркнутым в тексте словам (6 вопросов).
7. Задайте один альтернативный и один расчлененный вопрос к следующим предложениям текста (4 вопроса).
Образец: London is the capital of Great Britain.
А) Is London the capital of Great Britain or France?
Б) London is the capital of Great Britain, isn’t it?
1 There are many place of interest in London.
2 London contains the memorials of many famous people.
8. Выпишите из текста прилагательные в превосходной степени со словами, к которым они относятся.
9. Укажите, к какой части речи относятся слова каждой из данных ниже колонок. Подчеркните встречающиеся в них суффиксы и дайте исходные формы этих слов:
cultural Beautiful Residence
industrial Fashionable government
financial Different Collection
famous Priceless Painting
10. Укажите, как соотносятся слова houses в 3-м и 5-м абзацах со словом houses в 8-м абзаце тексте
Грамматические упражнения по английскому языку «Present Continuous»
Как организовать дистанционное обучение во время карантина?
Помогает проект «Инфоурок»
Read about the people working in the office.
Lillian is talking on the phone at the moment, and Sam and Carla are looking at some posters. Benny is reading a report. Bruce and Loretta are working on their computers, and Ed is doing some photocopying.
b) What are they doing in the office? Ask and answer.
Benny / work / on his computer?
Bruce and Loretta / talk on the phone?
Ed / do /some photocopying?
Lillian /read / I a report?
Sam and Carla / look / at some posters?
Is Benny working on his computer? – No, he isn’t. He’s reading a report.
c) What are the people in the office doing? Can you remember? Ask and answer.
What / Bruce and Loretta / do?
What / Sam and Carla / look at?
What / Lillian / do?
What / Benny / read?
What are Bruce and Loretta doing? They’re working on their computers.
Выберите книгу со скидкой:
ЕГЭ. География. Новый полный справочник для подготовки к ЕГЭ
350 руб. 163.00 руб.
350 руб. 171.00 руб.
ЕГЭ-2019. География. Теория и практика
350 руб. 213.00 руб.
ОГЭ. География. Большой сборник тематических заданий для подготовки к основному государственному экзамену
350 руб. 197.00 руб.
География. 10-11 классы. Атлас. (Традиционный комплект) (РГО)
350 руб. 106.00 руб.
География. 7 класс. Атлас. (Традиционный комплект)(РГО)
350 руб. 106.00 руб.
География. 5 класс. Атлас. (Традиционный комплект).
350 руб. 106.00 руб.
География. 10-11 классы. Контурные карты. (Традиционный комплект) (РГО)
350 руб. 59.00 руб.
География. 6 класс. Атлас. (Традиционный комплект)(РГО)
350 руб. 106.00 руб.
География. Материки, океаны, народы и страны. 7класс. Атлас
350 руб. 184.00 руб.
География. 9 класс. Контурные карты. (Традиционный комплект) (РГО)
350 руб. 59.00 руб.
География. Начальный курс географии. 6класс. Контурные карты
350 руб. 101.00 руб.
БОЛЕЕ 58 000 КНИГ И ШИРОКИЙ ВЫБОР КАНЦТОВАРОВ! ИНФОЛАВКА
Инфолавка — книжный магазин для педагогов и родителей от проекта «Инфоурок»
Дистанционный конкурс «Стоп коронавирус»
- Сальникова Наталья Анатольевна
Номер материала: ДБ-1660542
Добавляйте авторские материалы и получите призы от Инфоурок
Еженедельный призовой фонд 100 000 Р
Не нашли то что искали?
Вам будут интересны эти курсы:
Все материалы, размещенные на сайте, созданы авторами сайта либо размещены пользователями сайта и представлены на сайте исключительно для ознакомления. Авторские права на материалы принадлежат их законным авторам. Частичное или полное копирование материалов сайта без письменного разрешения администрации сайта запрещено! Мнение редакции может не совпадать с точкой зрения авторов.
Ответственность за разрешение любых спорных моментов, касающихся самих материалов и их содержания, берут на себя пользователи, разместившие материал на сайте. Однако редакция сайта готова оказать всяческую поддержку в решении любых вопросов связанных с работой и содержанием сайта. Если Вы заметили, что на данном сайте незаконно используются материалы, сообщите об этом администрации сайта через форму обратной связи.
Essential telephone English vocabulary exercise part 1
To make it easier to speak on the telephone in English, before you learn what you need to say (phrases which are used like, ‘May I ask who is calling, please?’), it’s very important to understand what the meaning is of some commonly used telephone vocabulary. Vocabulary that is used when both talking on the telephone and talking about telephone calls.
In this first of two online exercises on English telephone vocabulary, you’ll first learn 11 important words and phrases which are connected to speaking on the telephone in English by reading a text. After this, you’ll use these 11 words and phrases in a quiz/text, to both make sure you know what they mean and to remember them.
To learn some commonly used phrasal verbs and expressions used when making and receiving phone calls, do the ‘second part of this exercise on essential telephone English vocabulary‘ after you have done this exercise.
In addition, to practise and learn what phrases you can both say and hear on different types of phone calls in English, look at our other exercises on telephone English vocabulary.
In the following conversation between two work colleagues (Peter and Juan), Peter explains to Juan the meaning of some commonly used English vocabulary for telephone calls.
From the context, try to guess what the meaning of the words/phrases in bold are. Then do the quiz at the end to check if you are right.
Peter: ‘Did you call Mrs Smith this morning?’
Juan: ‘Yes, I did. But I didn’t speak to her.’
Juan: ‘I think there was a problem.’
Peter: ‘Was there a problem with the phone or with the line?’
Peter: ‘The connection between your phone and hers?’
Juan: ‘I don’t know how to explain what happened in English, but there was a problem.’
Peter: ‘Ok. Let’s start from the beginning. On what type of phone did you ring her from?’
Peter: ‘It means to call. I had a problem with my phone here in the office this morning. My line was dead, so I couldn’t make or receive any phone calls. Did you call/ring from one of the landline phones here in the office?’
Juan: ‘No I didn’t ring from my phone in the office. I was outside when I rang her. ‘
Peter: ‘So, it couldn’t be a landline because it’s impossible to make calls on it outside. So, you called her outside on your mobile?’
Juan: ‘Yes, I did. I was walking to buy some food. But I thought a phone you can carry with you was called a cell phone?’
Peter: ‘It’s called a cell in North America, but a mobile phone in most other countries.’
Peter: ‘If it was from a mobile, it could have been a problem with the reception. Did you have a good call signal on your mobile when you called her?’
Juan: ‘The reception on my mobile was good. My phone had a 100% signal and before the call I rang my wife and the quality of the call was perfect.’
Peter: ‘Did you dial the right number for her? Tell me what number you dialled?’
Juan: ‘I dialled 0871 7656 2390.’
Peter: ‘That’s the right number. So what happened when you called her?’
Juan: ‘She didn’t answer. I think the reason why is that she was speaking to somebody else on another phone call when I called her.’
Peter: ‘So, her line was engaged or busy. Did you leave a message in her voicemail asking her to call you back?’
Peter’s landline phone starts ringing. He answers it.
Peter: ‘Hello Mrs Smith. Thank you for calling us back. Can you hold the line a minute, please. Thank you.
I have Mrs Smith on the phone calling for you. What extension are you on here in the office so I can transfer her call to your landline phone?’
Juan: ‘I’m on extension 1567.’
Peter: ‘Hello Mrs Smith, I’ll transfer you through to his extension now.’
Below is a definition/description of each of the words/phrases in bold from the above text. Now choose the word/phrase from the question’s selection box which you believe answers each question. Only use one word/phrase once. Click on the «Check Answers» button at the bottom of the quiz to check your answers.
When the answer is correct, two icons will appear next to the question. The first is an Additional Information Icon » «. Click on this for extra information on the word/phrase. The second is a Pronunciation Icon » «. Click on this to listen to the pronunciation of the word/phrase and to do a pronunciation speaking test.
Now that you have completed this exercise, do the second part of this exercise to learn more essential English telephone vocabulary.
Now that you understand this telephone vocabulary, practise it by making sentences in English with the new words/phrases.
Follow us on or on Twitter or on Google +